When the weather starts getting colder, you’ll likely want to start considering your options for warming your space, whether it is your home, office, or another area. The cold can make you feel like cranking the heat all the way up, but that’s not always an option.
Some heating systems use a lot of energy and therefore, you might see your electricity bill steeply rising during colder months. This isn’t ideal for anyone and that’s why it’s important to search for heating options that are energy efficient. There are many space heaters (AKA electric heaters) that provide strong warming services without hurting your wallet. I’m happy to help you start your search for an energy-efficient space heater!
Space Heater Basics
Before you start learning about individual space heaters, you first need to understand the overall functionality and variation of space heaters. There are three main types of space heater, and knowing their purposes will help you streamline your search. The difference between the three types is in the way the heating technology of each one works.
The three main types of space heater are as follows:
- Radiant Heaters provide fast, targeted heating in smaller spaces.
- Micathermic Heaters provide widespread and fast heating, without taking up too much physical space.
- Convection Heaters provide evenly distributed heating throughout the whole targeted room.
It will help you to be aware of what these different heating technologies indicate. That way when you see them mentioned in the product description you’re reading, you will be able to analyze what that means in terms of your own specific needs for a space heater.
Why Should I Consider Space Heaters for Energy Efficiency?
Like we talked about before, heating systems can be energy draining. It gets cold and your instinct is to raise the heat. Depending on how you have your space heated, this can mean using a lot more energy.
The number one reason to consider using space heaters, especially if you’re concerned about energy efficiency, is because you can use them to smaller target areas for heating. That is, many prototypes are portable and small enough that you can move them frequently without too much trouble. That means that you can use energy only in the specific space where it’s actually needed.
Why expend extra energy and add to your electricity bill by heating your whole home when you can use a space heater and warm the specific room you or your family will be spending time in? This simple convenience of area-targeted heating can help you save a lot of energy!
One feature that you might want to look for in your search for energy-saving space heaters, is adjustable or programmable thermostats. With this feature on your space heater, you’ll be able to have finer control over the level of warmth your heater produces.
If you’re not too cold then you can lower the thermostat, and, likewise, if you find yourself freezing, you can raise the thermostat to suit your needs. The idea is that it is adjustable and can be changed at any given moment so that you do not use more energy than is needed.
Some space heaters take this feature a step further. You will find that there are heaters that can be programmed for auto turn-off when the room reaches a certain temperature. This is the ultimate energy saving function. It means that even if you’re not able to be in the room with the heater at all times, you will not need to worry that energy is being unnecessarily wasted.
Space heaters with adjustable thermostats provide energy efficiency and give you more control of your space and its warmth!
So, it’s winter and your home is cold. You want to heat the living room because your family generally spends a good deal of time there throughout the day. You put your space heater in the living room in the morning and turn it on. There’s no way of knowing how any given day will go. You may be able to tend manually to your space heater throughout the day or you may not.
That’s where a built-in timer can come in handy and provide a really helpful service. That same morning you turn on your space heater and decide to set the timer for five hours. That means five hours after you turn on the heater it will automatically turn off. This is a simple way to control energy usage without having to be constantly checking on your heater.
Many space heaters have built-in timers that provide ranging time options for auto turn-off. The function serves many purposes. You might want to fall asleep feeling warm and cozy, but be sure that you stay safe by setting a timer to turn off your heater after two hours.
A built-in timer will allow you flexibility in the planning of your days while helping you control energy usage at the same time.
Lower Wattage Options
When you buy products that work with electricity, you might notice that they list the amount of watts used. But how do watts really work? Don’t worry, you’re not alone in the unknown. It does help to have a basic understanding of watts and how they work so that you can make more informed decisions.
Watts measure the power, or the rate at which energy flows. The faster the flow, the more energy used. This means that when you’re looking for energy-efficient space heaters, you can also pay attention to the watts to help guide your decision.
There is a plentiful supply of space heaters that use 1500 watts on their high setting, and less on their lower settings. This level of wattage appears to be a good cut off, while still being very effective in heating your targeted space. That being said, while there are space heaters available that use high wattage, there is no need to choose those thinking they will heat your space better.
Space heaters using 1500 watts are effective and will provide you with more energy efficiency than their counterparts that use higher wattage.
Best Five Energy Efficient Space Heaters
Are you feeling more confident about beginning your search now that you’ve learned about a few of the important features to look for to ensure energy efficiency? Here is a list of the five most energy efficient space heaters. You can read through the features and details of each product to see which one will best suit your lifestyle!
The Lasko 755320 Ceramic Tower Heater is a great option for a variety of spaces and settings. The heater’s tower construction make it an easy option for different spaces, as it fits in corners and small spots. With an oscillation option, the Lasko Tower Heater spreads warmth evenly throughout your targeted space. With a cap at 1500 watts, an adjustable thermostat, and a built-in timer, this heater provides an effective yet energy-efficient option for warming your space.
Things We Like:
- Comes with a multi-function remote control, making the control and adjustment of your heater much more convenient.
- Tower construction provides slee design option for your targeted space.
- Option for oscillation allows you to pinpoint specific spots or warm wider spread areas in your space and works very quietly.
- Lightweight and easy to move from room to room using the handle on the back of the heater.
- Digital display screen shows current temperature to help you keep track.
- Durable and will not be damaged easily, even if it falls down multiple times.
- Heats up quickly once heating setting is specified so that you don’t have to wait long for warmth in your space.
- Can be programmed for auto turn-on when room temperature reaches a certain low, saving energy and keeping you warm.
- Built-in timer programmable for auto turn-off for up to eight hours gives you flexibility in your planning.
- Power cord is five feet long, which is helpful for more convenient and adaptable placement.
Things We Don’t Like:
- Does not have automatic safety shut off if the heater is tipped over or falls down, making it a fire hazard if left unaccompanied.
The Dr Infrared Heater Portable Space Heater is a bigger financial investment that pays off in energy efficiency and heating capacity. Even if you’re looking to heat a large room, Dr Infrared Heater Portable Space Heater will take care of the job. Its wheels and remote control provide portability and convenience. The heater’s dual heating technology (infrared and convection), programmable thermostat, built-in timer, and auto energy-saving mode make it a great option for energy-efficient heating.
Things We Like:
- Provides infrared heating that heats the objects in the room as opposed to the air, which results in faster, more consistent, and energy-efficient heating.
- Dual heating technology using infrared and convection heating creates all-encompassing experience of warmth in your targeted space.
- Optimal safety features: tip-over and overheat protection provide you with peace of mind and accident protection.
- Digital display screen shows current temperature and adjusts with good accuracy to help keep you aware.
- Surface of heater does not get hot to touch, making it safe for pets or children who may be tempted to touch the heater.
- Works very quietly and will not disturb sleep or enjoyment of television or music.
- Heats up both small and large spaces very quickly and maintains warmth of space as long as it remains on.
- Small size of heater means that it does not take up too much space and does not disturb your decor.
- Has a built-in humidifier that can be turned on or off at any time depending on your specific needs at any given moment.
- Automatically checks room temperature about every five minutes in order to ensure accurate functioning of the thermostat and heating functions.
Things We Don’t Like:
- Slightly more expensive than other energy-efficient space heaters, which means that it may not be a practical option for everyone.
- Although it has wheels for portability, it’s a bit heavy and challenging to move up or down stairs.
The Honeywell HZ-7300 Heater provides convenience, functionality, and safety in a compact package. With a small and neat appearance, this Honeywell heater gives you the option of oscillation combined with a choice of heating settings and a programmable thermostat. Safety is prime with both tip-over and overheating protection so you can rest assured that you’re in good hands. Honeywell is an adjustable heater great for small spaces that provides energy efficiency without sacrificing warmth and comfort.
Things We Like:
- You can program this heater for auto turn-off and turn-on at specific temperatures, which helps keep your warmth consistent and energy efficient.
- Very sturdy design that is easy to move but not easy to knock over for added safety.
- Oscillation works well and is widespread for more even distribution of warmth in your space.
- Six heating levels and options for more control over the strength of heat distribution and therefore energy usage, as well.
- The heater warms up quickly, especially if you employ the oscillation option to warm your whole space as quickly as possible.
- Heater itself remains cool to the touch making it a safe option for use in areas where children and/or pets may wander.
- Small size of heater makes it easy to situate and also to store when not in use.
- Is fairly quiet when running and will not disturb sleep or overpower other activities where listening is involved.
- Very durable and can be used for years in succession without encountering functionality issues.
- Air stream is strong; warmth is spread well throughout small- and medium-sized spaces.
Things We Don’t Like:
- Thermostat temperature is adjustable, but only in five degree increments (65, 70, 75) so not as much specific control as would be desirable.
- Power cord is only three feet long so adaptability in terms of placement is not great.
The Vornado AVH2 Plus Whole Room Heater is a good option if you’re looking for an inconspicuous yet effective heater that doubles as a regular fan. Its small size makes it practical for all types of spaces. Though it is small, warm air will be spread throughout the whole space you’re targeting. It conveniently auto controls and adjusts heat levels in relation to the climate of the target space. You’ll feel safe using it around any children or pets in your space with its tip-over protection.
Things We Like:
- Fan-only option allows you to use the strong air stream to cool down your space in warmer months.
- Heats small- and medium-sized spaces well and very evenly, maintaining warmth once it is met.
- Runs very well on its lower setting and still heats effectively for noticeable energy efficiency compared to other heaters.
- Small yet durable construction that stays cool to the touch, making it safe for use around pets and children.
- Works very quietly and does not disturb, even when sleeping.
- The continuous air output keeps the desired temperature stable while also allowing for analyzation of room temperature and auto adjustment as needed.
- Is powerful enough to heat a whole room by itself, as long as you keep the room’s door closed to avoid unnecessary spreading beyond the targeted space.
- Very lightweight and therefore is highly portable to different spaces with no difficulty.
- Choice between low and high setting gives you more control of energy efficiency depending on what you need to warm your space.
- Does not produce burning smell that sometimes occurs with space heaters.
Things We Don’t Like:
- The heater’s digital display does not have any type of backlight, which makes it very challenging to adjust in the dark.
- Power cord sometimes gets hot to the touch when the heater has been running for some time, which could be dangerous for pets or children.
The Holmes Compact Heater is a simple choice if you’re looking for a very budget-friendly yet effective space heater. This heater boasts an extremely simple manually controlled adjustable thermostat, and overheating protection. The heater is cool to the touch and safe for use around children and pets. Its small and lightweight size makes it ideal for adaptability in placement and ease in portability.
Things We Like:
- The built-in thermostat automatically turns on and off to regulate the temperature of your space to that which you have specified with the dial.
- Warm air begins blowing as soon as you power the heater on so you do not have to wait long for your space to be warmed.
- Air stream is strong enough and consistent enough to warm whole rooms, even though the unit itself is small.
- Compact design makes it a great option for smaller spaces in terms of placement and storage when not in use.
- Fan speed and noise level (fairly quiet) stay the same no matter what level you put the thermostat on so no need to worry about increasing the temperature.
- Excellent for use in small rooms, such as bedrooms, offices, or bathrooms.
Things We Don’t Like:
- Does not have automatic turn-off function so you must always be aware and be sure to manually turn off for optimal safety.
- Does not have an on/off switch so red light will remain on even when not in use if heater is plugged in.
Have you finished checking out our five recommended space heaters for energy efficiency? Hopefully, after reading the specifics of different products, you’ve gained a better of understanding of what you need in your unique situation.
We recommend the Lasko 755320 Ceramic Tower Heater because of its user-friendliness, sleek design, safety features, convenience, and energy efficiency. It is a suitable option for various settings and spaces, which can be learned and operated by all.
If the Lasko Tower Heater isn’t the option for you, no worries. All of our recommended products are energy efficient while still being effective.
Think about your purpose and need for a space heater. What size and type of room will it be used in? Do you need auto turn-off features? Will there be children and/or pets around the heater?
Construct a list of your must-have features so that your search will be streamlined and get going!